Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ringgit vs Mickey Mouse money

The price of Malaysian favourite makan ,roti canai has gone up by 10 cents. I normally pay rm 1.00 and the reason for the increase in price given by my neighbourhood mamak gerai is that price of flour went up by 40 cents a kilo.

Let me take you down memory lane, in 1977, the only open air cafe in my hometown which have the only jude box in town, charged 5 cents for per selected song. I used to play Hotel California twice in a row. By the end of the night,you will properly hear this song repeated over 20 times.

A bowl of fishball mee soup cost 10 cents for small and 15 cents big. A bottle of coke or my usual choice fanta cost 15 cents.

In 1986, I remember paying rm1.80 for a mug of beer and in 1990 rm 12.00 for a jug of beer.
I get pissed drunk with rm 50.00 in my pocket.

The average pay for a fresh graduate in 1985 range from rm 1000- rm 1500. Today the same new graduate take home rm 1500- rm 2000 per month.

The rate of inflation and cost of living in Malaysia had increased tremendously and the increment in layman salary now just don't match. The average spending power diminished and the fact is we are getting poorer and poorer.

The prices of every essential goods needed in our daily life are going up faster than you can imagine. Inevitably, get ready to add another zero to the ringgit in the near future. Expect your standard of living to take a dive.

The government of today need to address this problem urgently, ensure that the economy is strong, healthy and growing. No more wastages of public fund, cut down on corruption, more foreign investments and importantly good governance.

I wondered in this great country,when can we, her children enjoy the wealth and the bountiful fruits blessed by God?

cheers cobber

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I remembered very well that during the late 70's that I used to buy satays at 5 sen a stick. I will normally bring 20 sen & buy 4 sticks of satay & walloped everything in quick time! The timun was always free to replenish, those were the days.